Privileged Time vs Tutoring Time

AHS Teachers Draft Students

Students are given Gold and Silver cards like the ones depicted above. This serves as a hall pass for students during personal time. Students who do not have their cards are sent back to class.

Kaitlyn Rowe

Before the DRAFT, you had to attend tutoring if you had a C or below in a class. Students with B’s or above could go wherever they wanted. This was very unorganized. We had kids in the hall who were supposed to be in tutoring. To fix this problem, we created the draft. The DRAFT is a system that is organized by color coded cards. Gold cards get to wander and do as they please, the silver cards get two days of privileged time, Monday and Friday, and the bronze cards get drafted by a teacher to work on their  grades, etc…

[The DRAFT] is a good reward system for students who try hard. It has a good reward and takeaway basis that encourages students to get better grades and to show up to class.”

— Hunter Watson

I attempted, with success, to get student opinions on the DRAFT by asking two students what they thought of it and how they think it was going. When asked about the DRAFT, AHS junior Cindy Schmidt, expressed a negative opinion. “I like the tutoring and non tutoring better,” she said. “[The DRAFT] labels students as good or bad kids.” AHS junior Hunter Watson, on the other hand, had a very different opinion. “[The DRAFT] is a good reward system for students who try hard. It has a good reward and takeaway basis that encourages students to get better grades and to show up to class.”

These were just a couple of the many opinions of the student body. Some people love it and some hate it, but more importantly, what do you think of the DRAFT?