Learning to Care, Caring to Learn

Ava High School Raises Funds for Less Fortunate Students

Learning to Care, Caring to Learn

Ryan McFarlin

Care to Learn is a Missouri program that provides for the hunger, health, and hygiene of students who cannot afford these things that others take for granted. Care to Learn was established by Doug Pitt in Springfield, MO in 2008, and has grown to have 32 chapters statewide, from Kansas City to Republic. Ava also happens to have a chapter and hosts a week long fundraising event right at the High School called “Care for a Bear Week” every year.

I love Care to Learn because it provides help for today and hope for tomorrow…It helps keep our students healthy and allows them to come to school with a heart open to learning.”

— Mrs.Burkdoll

This year’s donation drive is scheduled to last from February 13th to the 17th, and during this time, individuals and businesses are being asked to donate any funds, clothing, and hygiene products they can spare. Anyone wishing to make a donation to the Ava Chapter can either do so on the Care to Learn website, caretolearnfund.org, or by contacting the High School Counselor, Kati Burkdoll. She can be reached through email at [email protected] or through phone using the number 417.683.4717.

Mrs. Burkdoll has been the Care to Learn Ava champion since 2016 and had this to say about Care to Learn: “I love Care to Learn because it provides help for today and hope for tomorrow. It helps parents, students, and families know they aren’t alone in their struggles. It helps students get a quality night of sleep while never having to go to bed hungry. It helps keep our students healthy and allows them to come to school with a heart open to learning.”