New Faces at Ava High School

Getting to Know the New Teachers

Mr. Supancic in his classroom.

Mr. Supancic in his classroom.

Mr. Supancic in his classroom.

Mashala Gunning, Reporter

Welcome back to Ava High School! Ava High School has a few new faces this year! One of the new teacher’s is Mr. Supancic. He teaches American History and World History. His advice for high school students is, “Be proud of what you do, Set high goals and try to meet them.” During school he enjoyed, “Lunch, but no for real I have always been a history guy and enjoyed history. I had a high school history teacher that strongly influenced me!” When asked if he had a small bio that he could say and he said, “Graduated from Mountain Grove in 1990, Undergraduate degree at Drury College and then went to Drury University and received his Masters in education. Before I came to Ava I taught at Plato for 14 years.” When asked why he chose to teach he said, “I enjoy history. It’s fun for me. I enjoy watching the kids learn. I find it unique. Even when i am not at school I find myself teaching.”When asked if there was anything he would rather do than teach and he said, “Professional Fisherman and I am still working on that!” When asked him what his favorite childhood memory was he said, “ Youth sports and

being part of sports.” When asked what his least favorite part about teaching is he said, “Grading papers.” So if you see him in the hallways welcome him to Ava High School!

The next new face you should be seeing is Mrs. Miller. She teaches two classes of American History, one Psychology/Sociology class, one English I class, and she is the coordinator for the Drury Learning Lab.

Her advice for high school students is, “to just enjoy every second. I know you get tired and just want school to be over, but it will be before you know it, so savor every moment! Of course I enjoyed hanging out with friends in high school, but I also really liked the club activities. If you are not in a club, I encourage you to join one.” She went to elementary and high school in Gainesville, Missouri. She was a caseworker for the state of Missouri for seven years before she decided to return to college and get her teaching degree. She has taught at Ava Victory Academy, Fordland, and has subbed here at Ava. She is married and has one son, Eli, who is a sophomore. Her husband is one of the local barbers. She has five brothers and two sisters. She moved to Ava because her husband is from here and he has a business here, but she says, “I am happy to call Ava home.” She exclaims, “I am really excited to be working at Ava High School. I choose to teach because I want to help students. My goal is to make a difference even in the smallest ways. After working as a caseworker, I felt that I could make a bigger impact teaching and that is why I changed careers.” Her least favorite part of teaching is the paperwork! Her favorite childhood memory is, “playing hide and seek with my brother, just after dark, in the yard, barefoot. I loved the way the freshly mowed grass felt on my feet. Thank goodness neither of us stepped on a copperhead!” If you see this lovely lady in the hallways give her a warm welcome to Ava High School!

The next new face at Ava High School is Mr. Loftin. He teaches High School Health, PE, and PE in the elementary and middle school.  Advice that I have for high school students would be, “to not wish away your high school years so quickly. You will look back and miss your time with your friends.  I enjoyed the education that I had from Ava High School that prepared me for college and the memories that I have from baseball.” A little bit about him is that he grew up here in Ava.  “After high school, I went to Missouri Valley College.  I majored in Physical Education and played baseball.  I coached at Missouri Valley College for three years after I was done playing.  I taught at Gainesville for two years.  I also got married this summer,” exclaims Mr. Loftin. “I chose to teach because I had a second grade teacher that was very influential in my life and helped shaped my educational career.  I wanted to be a teacher like Mrs. Davis.  I didn’t always want to teach, I wanted to go into business growing up,” exclaims Mr. Loftin. His favorite childhood memory would be, “all the baseball that I played in my childhood.”  I asked him what his least favorite part of teaching was and he said, “I don’t really have a least favorite part of teaching.  It is a great profession to choose.”  

Share on Google+Pin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someoneShare on Facebook