Backpack, Backpack!

LEADs Class Organizes Backpack Food Drive

LEADs students Weston Stillings, Stephen Copeland, and Hunter Richardson unloading food for the Backpack Program.

Ryan McFarlin, Editor

LEADs, or the Leadership Exploration Application and Development class, is a course at Ava High School dedicated to helping out the community. The class, currently taught by High School librarian Julie Taylor, has many programs to donate to those in need around Ava. One such program is the BEAR Necessities: Backpack Program, which was started by Coach Kyger in 2008, and is designed to give meals to children who might not know when their next meal might come.

Julie Taylor, the LEADs advisor, said, “This year, the Backpack Program is not just providing snacks, but full meals to combat the students’ hunger needs on the weekends.”These meals are easy to prepare items, such as Ramen Noodles or Hamburger Helper, as well as snacks, like apple sauce. The funds for these meals comes from the Leads’ fundraising efforts and can recycling, as well as donations from the community and local churches.

All of the bags are given to young elementary age students, such as kindergartener Autumn McFarlin. Autumn said, “I really like the food bags. The Beanie Weenies are yummy!”