World of “Wish”Craft

World of Warcraft Hosts Fundraising Event

Brendan McFarlin on the Midway Museum in San Diego.

Ryan McFarlin, Editor

World of Warcraft is a massively popular role-playing game by Blizzard Entertainment, with millions of players around the world. Starting in 2014, Blizzard began working to raise money for the Make-a-Wish Foundation. Make-a-Wish is a non-profit company that organizes amazing vacations or celebrity meetups for children with special medical needs.

Blizzard runs their fundraising campaign every December, from the 2nd to the 31st. Each year, they offer a virtual pet for 10 dollars and a matching stuffed animal for 25 dollars. The virtual pet follows you around on your journey and can be used in the pet combat arena featured in-game. The entire ¨adoption fee¨ is given to Make-a-Wish during the event, but the pet remains available long after.

In the 2016 season, Mischief the Fel Kitty pet and plush animal raised over 2.5 million dollars for Make-a-Wish and was one of Blizzard’s most popular charity pets. The 2015 season raised 1.7 with the Fel Kitty’s magical cousin, Brightpaw. The 2014 season raised 1 million dollars, with the Alterac Brew Pup and Enchanted Fey Dragon discount bundle.

Brendan McFarlin, a Freshman at Ava High, is one of the children who got a vacation trip from Make-a-Wish. Brendan said, “I really enjoyed my trip to San Diego, it was really fun. It might only be thanks to Blizzard’s great charity events that I got to go.”