Good and Evil, Light and Dark

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991)

Link exploring Hyrule Field

Link exploring Hyrule Field

Ash Ludwig, Reporter

What would you do for a wish to be granted? Would you search for your whole life, or maybe start a war just so your dream could come true? The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is regarded as one of the greatest games of all time, but could this really be true? Can one game stand the test of time and stay above the others? Today we will find whether or not this game is as great as people say it is, or if they are blinded by any sort of nostalgia they have for the game.
Story: Long ago, in the kingdom of hyrule, legends of a golden power, hidden in a golden land, that could grant the wish of any who touch it. Many wars broke out for people trying to force their way to the land of the omniscient Golden Power, with none who found the land returning. After evil power began to flow from within the Golden Land, the king of Hyrule commanded that the seven sages of the kingdom of Hyrule seal the entrance to the Golden Land.
Years later, a mysterious wizard disguised as a priest came to Hyrule with a goal of breaking the seal on the land that began so many wars previously. The wizard Agahnim then eliminated the present reigning king of Hyrule and take over the Hyrulian castle as his own. By means of evil magic, Agahnim began to make the descendants of the seven sages disappear which in turn weakened the seal to the secret land. Now only one descendent of the sages remain, Princess Zelda of Hyrule, who must now send out a cry for help to anyone who can hear her plead.

Visuals: The world of The Legend of Zelda is set in medieval times, therefore many locales you could expect to see are akin to castles, villages, dungeons, and magic based areas. While playing A Link to the Past players will notice that the game plays from a top down perspective, meaning players can see everything around them and assess any situation from seeing almost every detail.

Gameplay: The Legend of Zelda is an Action-Adventure game, meaning defeating enemies and exploring around all take place in the same intervals of time. Exploring is also split between two “types” of areas, the overworld and the dungeons. The overworld is akin to an open field with places to go, enemies to fight, and secrets to find. Dungeons are paced differently than the overworld, in dungeons players must traverse rooms by completing puzzles and finding keys to unlock doors and chests.

Game length: A Link to the Past is a lengthy game, if you have never played it before you may get lost from time to time even with the use of a map. The game also does not explicitly point out things you need to do, for example the flippers needed to swim are not even mentioned by any character in the game, but you must find them to progress through certain portions of the game.

Final Conclusion: If you’re ever in the mood for an adventure game with an engaging story and many areas to explore, you may enjoy playing The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. While if you were looking for a game you could pick up and not put much thought into, I don’t think A Link to the Past is what you’re looking for. In the end, A Link to the Past is a great action adventure game that is not to hard for first players and not to easy for more experienced players to not enjoy.

Share on Google+Pin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someoneShare on Facebook