Dealing with Cyberbullying

How to Stand Up to the Hate

Dealing with Cyberbullying

Harley Kilgore, Reporter

The month of February should be all about love and loving one another. However, in the digital age, people have to deal with bullying. It’s not just in public anymore, but can even happen behind our computer screens at home. School and relationships are hard enough, and now we have to deal with bullying online as well.

This can be especially hard for students growing up. No one enjoys growing up in a society where people mock and hurt others, let alone in an online setting.

Cyberbullying can happen in many ways. It can be through messages or threats, rumors going around online, mean posts, taking bad photos of people and spreading them, or even pretending to be someone else online to hurt someone.

Here’s some signs to look for if someone you know may be getting bullied online: low self esteem, withdraw from family and friends, a change in personality, change in style to try to fit in, possessive of their devices, self-harm, or trying to avoid school as much as possible. Does anyone that you know fit into these categories? If so, you should try to support them.

To support them, remind them that no one deserves to be treated that way. Encourage them to talk to someone about this. Thank them for talking to you about this issue. Report abuse, keep track of what’s going on, and just show them that you’re there for them.

If you are actually going through this yourself, then know help is available. You should ignore, record, report, and reach out. Then, block them or ensure a way where they cannot reach out to you. Do not, however, be rude back to the bully, forward their messages, or believe them.