Intro To College Housing

Seniors need to be looking for new housing as they begin this new part of their lives

Lizzy Linder, Reporter

As the seniors graduate and go to college, they will likely need to find a place to live. This can be a scary time for many incoming freshmen, as most of them have never had to think about living on their own before now. Luckily, there are resources to help students begin their search.

There are many options for living accommodations in college, the most common choices being living at home, getting an apartment with friends, or living on campus. None of these options are necessarily bad, but it’s up to the individual student to choose the one that’s right for them.

The most common way that incoming freshman usually lives through college is in the dorms. This option provides you with living that you don’t have to “pay rent” for. It is important to note, however, that you DO have to pay to live in a dorm, and most of the time it is more expensive than any other type of housing, you just aren’t having to pay it in that instant (if you have sufficient scholarships, grants, loans, or money to pay upfront).

Every college is different in its application process for on-campus housing, but many of them share common factors, as well as common problems to avoid. The first step of getting university housing is simple, get and fill out the application.  Most of the time these forms are online, but you may need to actually fill out a paper copy or visit your school to have a consultation.

Some schools have dorms that are exactly the same no matter where you are or what building you’re in. However, many colleges, especially older schools, have many different level dorms, from the cheapest to the most expensive. In the more expensive dorms, you may have commodities such as more living room, fewer people in a smaller space, and a bathroom you’re not sharing with an entire floor. Most college students agree that the more expensive dorms are not worth the price. Unless you’re somehow rolling in the money from all of those lovely scholarships (that I’m sure you’re all filling out, right?) you aren’t going to want to be paying boatloads of money for a place that you honestly aren’t going to be spending much time in. Go for the cheapest or second cheapest option. You may need to ask around to find out which one is the cheapest, but it’s worth your time.

If you’re a planning on going to a community college or not going down the dorm route, an apartment is typically the next step to look at. I highly advise finding someone you know and trust to room with, apartments are a lot for a college student to have to pay for on their own. Often times the best apartments for students are ones that only students can live in. The owners usually cut the kids a break in payments to live in this sort of accommodation, but again, the best advice for apartment shopping is to ask around.

The last of the popular options for aspiring students is to simply live at home. If you’re going to a school in about a 50-mile radius, this may be the right option for you. It’s understandable that you want to go be free at college and get out of the house, but it’s about what’s the best option for you, both financially and for your mental health.