Applying to College (for Dummies)

The Basics of Applying to College

Back to Article
Back to Article

Applying to College (for Dummies)

Filling out applications for scholarships might be tedious, but it can be very beneficial.

Ryan McFarlin, Editor

Applying to a university can seem like a confusing and complex process. However, with a little guidance and know how, it can be done with ease. The first step is simple, decide what type of courses you wish to take. After this, you should research what colleges are in your area and support the courses you wish to take. Once that is done, pick one or two to research further. Once your decision has been made, the real process begins.

This next step can technically be skipped, but it would definitely not be in your best interest. This would be to speak to a representative of your desired school. They can provide you with important info on scholarships and resources you might need to improve your college experience.

Afterward, fill out the colleges’ application on their website or a print out. This form, usually longer than five pages, requires a paper stating your goals for your future. Also, it will need your ethnicity, where you live, and other personal info. When the form is finished, you should send in that form and your high school transcript to the school or schools. A letter of recommendation from one or more of your high school teachers would also help.

That is the general list of what you should do, but there are a few other things that might be important. A visit to the college before filling out your application is almost necessary. This goes with researching your school, but a physical visit gives you a better idea of the school. Also, improving your ACT score can be required. A higher score gives a better chance of receiving your acceptance letter.

Hopefully, you have a better understanding of this process. Even if you don’t plan to go to college now, the same process can be applied to getting a job or joining certain parts of the military.