Happy Socktober

NHS Student Service Project

Helping Hands
Senior Coy Akers, standing with the  Harmony House  sponsor, shows off some of the socks donated by Ava Elementary.

Helping Hands Senior Coy Akers, standing with the Harmony House sponsor, shows off some of the socks donated by Ava Elementary.

Alivia Roberts

Ava High School National Honor Society was chartered 1985 with the visionary leadership of faculty advisor Mrs. Dorothy Norman. The club is still very active today, even being this year’s President school at State Convention. National Honor Society is only for the most elite students with strict requirements. A 90% cumulative attendance, 3.5 GPA, 24 community service hours, citizenship, and the continuous study in core classes all four years of high school. Another requirement to have a good standing in NHS is the completion of a senior service project. There have already been some amazing senior projects completed this year. Coy Akers donated over 500 pairs of socks to the Harmony House. He set up boxes at the Ava Elementary and the class that gave the most socks won a pizza party! Coy was quoted saying, “It wasn’t hard, the kids brought the socks and I brought them in. I just really wanted to help the Harmony House.” There have been a variety of organizations that get helped by the seniors of NHS and it is truly an honor to be a part of this club.